Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A recipe that I just tossed together and it came out so well that I thought I'd post it! I'm sure you could omit the cheese and peppers and add honey or sugar to make a sweet version of this. You could also add chopped onion, green onions, green chillies, etc for a slightly different flavour. You could also put creamed corn but if you do, I'd probably decrease the amount of milk.
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 2 cups milk
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped finely
- 1⁄2 cup grated tex Mexican blend cheese
- 4 eggs, beaten slightly
- oil (for frying)
- Put dry ingredients (except for the Jalapeño pepper and cheese in one bowl and wet ingredients in another).
- Mix together a little at a time and let sit for fifteen minutes, occasionally stirring.
- Then put about a tsp or two of oil in a frying pan and make it hot.
- Just before frying the johnny cakes, add the cheese and jalapeño peppers and stir well.
- Drop by pot spoons onto a hot griddle just as you would if you were making pancakes. Wait till bubbles form on top and then flip and fry on the other side until golden brown.
- Serve with jalapeno dip, sour cream or eat plain.