Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
From the Ball Blue Book of Preserving. A little different than other recipes as it uses only jalapeno peppers. Be sure to wear disposable or rubber gloves while cutting and seeding jalapenos. I did not add the optional food coloring and got 6 half-pints. Great over cream cheese or for use in recipes. Please be sure you are familiar with hot water bath canning procedures. For more information, check out the Canning Forum http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewforum.zsp?f=24. Whenever making large quantities of jams or jellies, be sure not to double the recipe. Just make successive batches in assembly-line fashion; otherwise, they won't set. The amount of vinegar is correct:)
- 3⁄4 lb jalapeno pepper
- 2 cups cider vinegar, divided
- 6 cups sugar
- 2 (3 ounce) envelopes liquid pectin
- green food coloring (optional)
- After removing stems and seeds from jalapenos, puree in food processor with 1 cup cider vinegar.
- Combine puree, additional 1 cup cider vinegar, and sugar in large saucepot. Bring to a boil; boil 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Stir in liquid pectin. Return to a rolling boil and boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Skim foam, if necessary, and stir in a few drops of food coloring, if desired.
- Ladle hot jelly into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Adjust 2 piece caps. Process 10 minutes in a boiling water canner.
Awesome! This is sooooo good. I can't stop eating it. I just put a block of softened cream cheese on a plate and topped it with this and ate it with saltines. I can't stop myself! Anyway, I wanted to mention that I DID use dry pectin because I didn't have liquid, and I will tell you how. I followed the recipe exactly EXCEPT I did not add the sugar in the first boil, but added the dry PECTIN instead. So, I boiled the pepper puree, remaining vinegar and pectin together first in a rolling boil. (I used 6 Tbsp. dry pectin which equals 1 box). THEN I added the sugar (pre-measured, all at once) and got it to a rolling boil again, and let that boil for a minute while stirring. It set up perfectly and everything else was the same. YUM!
Just a fantastic recipe!! I made 24 half pint jars before christmas and have none left! Only use the liquid pectin or you will have jalapeno syrup!!
The taste is delicious! I used fresh jalapenos from our garden, keeping 4 of them with seeds. Pretty HOT! But the sweetness takes away the sting. However, it turned out very stiff. Perhaps the 10 minutes of boiling was too long? If anyone has a suggestion what happened, please let me know. The plants are still producing and I'd love to make more.