Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
From the Ball Blue Book of Preserving. A little different than other recipes as it uses only jalapeno peppers. Be sure to wear disposable or rubber gloves while cutting and seeding jalapenos. I did not add the optional food coloring and got 6 half-pints. Great over cream cheese or for use in recipes. Please be sure you are familiar with hot water bath canning procedures. For more information, check out the Canning Forum http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewforum.zsp?f=24. Whenever making large quantities of jams or jellies, be sure not to double the recipe. Just make successive batches in assembly-line fashion; otherwise, they won't set. The amount of vinegar is correct:)
- 3⁄4 lb jalapeno pepper
- 2 cups cider vinegar, divided
- 6 cups sugar
- 2 (3 ounce) envelopes liquid pectin
- green food coloring (optional)
- After removing stems and seeds from jalapenos, puree in food processor with 1 cup cider vinegar.
- Combine puree, additional 1 cup cider vinegar, and sugar in large saucepot. Bring to a boil; boil 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Stir in liquid pectin. Return to a rolling boil and boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Skim foam, if necessary, and stir in a few drops of food coloring, if desired.
- Ladle hot jelly into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Adjust 2 piece caps. Process 10 minutes in a boiling water canner.
Awesome! This is sooooo good. I can't stop eating it. I just put a block of softened cream cheese on a plate and topped it with this and ate it with saltines. I can't stop myself! Anyway, I wanted to mention that I DID use dry pectin because I didn't have liquid, and I will tell you how. I followed the recipe exactly EXCEPT I did not add the sugar in the first boil, but added the dry PECTIN instead. So, I boiled the pepper puree, remaining vinegar and pectin together first in a rolling boil. (I used 6 Tbsp. dry pectin which equals 1 box). THEN I added the sugar (pre-measured, all at once) and got it to a rolling boil again, and let that boil for a minute while stirring. It set up perfectly and everything else was the same. YUM!
Just a fantastic recipe!! I made 24 half pint jars before christmas and have none left! Only use the liquid pectin or you will have jalapeno syrup!!
This jelly is awesome! It looks just like in the picture. I left out the food coloring. I added a couple of red jalapenos as well and it has nice red specks of color. It is delicious! I froze this in the small 8 oz. freezer containers and it worked great. We have thawed one out now and it is perfect!