Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 mins
With Christmas coming, this makes a great homemade gift in a pretty jar with a festive ribbon.
- 2 large sweet green peppers, cored, seeded, chopped (about 1 pound)
- 6 large jalapeno chiles, seeded and chopped (about 2/3 cup)
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 5 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 (1 3/4 ounce) box powdered fruit pectin, dissolved in
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- green food coloring
- 6 canning jars, lids, seals (1/2 pint)
- In processor, finely chop green peppers and jalapenos with vinegar.
- Place pepper mixture in 5 or 6 quart heavy-bottomed non-aluminum saucepan. Stir in sugar and water. Bring to boiling, stirring occasionally. Boil over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Meanwhile in small saucepan, boil pectin-water mixture 1 minute.
- Add pectin mixture, lemon juice and desired amount of green food coloring to pepper mixture. Boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Pour hot jelly mixture into sterilized jars; seal. Process in hot water bath following manufacturer`s instructions. Remove jars from water and place on wire rack. Let stand at room temperature 24 hours or until jelly sets up.
- Store in cool, dark place for up to 6 months.
I made this over the weekend and it turned out great! Sweet, not spicy. It seems like a cross between jelly and jam. I did change it slightly. I used Ball low/no sugar pectin and 2 1/2 cups sugar. I omitted the green food coloring, too, I like the natural green. I did my green peppers by weight, so I ended up using 3. Came out with almost 7 jars worth. I just had it on crackers with cream cheese. YUM! I will be making this again.