Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
- 3 egg whites
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack pepper cheese, divided
- 1 (14 3/4 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 3 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- sour cream
- Let egg whites stand at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the milk and cornmeal in a large saucepan.
- Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat for 5 minutes or until mixture is very thick and pulls away from the side of the pan; remove from heat.
- In a bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups cheese, corn, bell pepper, egg yolks, and salt; stir this mixture into the cornmeal mixture; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites using an electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Stir 1/3 of egg white mixture into cornmeal mixture.
- Gently fold remaining egg whites into cornmeal mixture.
- Spoon mixture into a greased 2-quart casserole (dish will be full).
- Bake, covered, in a preheated 350° oven for 45-50 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.
- Top with remaining cheese.
- Cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes before serving; serve with salsa and sour cream, if desired.