Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Fiery flapjacks won the Food Network's chile pepper-themed contest. Start off with Mexican cornbread in this sweet-and-spicy breakfast with a double dose of jalapenos--in the batter and in the orange syrup. This dish can be made as hot as your tastebuds like (or not very hot) to suit your taste.
For the toppings
- 8 slices thick-cut bacon
- 1 (12 ounce) jar orange marmalade
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
For the pancakes
- 1⁄2 cup blue cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, plus some more for the griddle
- 2 tablespoons finely diced seeded jalapeno peppers
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 2 scallions, chopped
- Prepare the toppings: Fry the bacon in a medium nonstick skillet until crisp. Meanwhile, make the syrup: Heat the marmalade, 1/3 cup orange juice, the scallions and jalapeno in as small saucepan over low heat. Add more orange juice if the syrup is too thick. Keep warm.
- Prepare the pancakes: Whisk the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a large bowl. Stir in the egg, milk and canola oil until just combined. (The batter will be thin.) Fold in the diced jalapeno, parmesan and scallions.
- Heat a griddle or large skillet over medium heat and lightly oil it. Ladle 2 to 3 tablespoons batter onto the griddle for each pancake; cook until the tops are bubbly, then flip and cook until golden on the bottom.
- Stack the pancakes on 4 plates. Top each stack with 2 strips of bacon and drizzle with the orange syrup.
I made these for my parents on a recent trip back to the UK, hence me being late to review, sorry! They are veggies, so I served them with marmalade and fresh fruit, they LOVED them thanks crafty darlink! Made for Recipe Swap in OZ/NZ forum.
Wow Crafty, I wish I could give you 10*'s. This recipe is the bomb. I love pancakes and these are the best savory ones that I have ever tried. So delicious, great texture and the flavor is over the moon. The pancakes are tender and light, packed full of flavors that blend perfectly together. The bacon and orange sauce are the icing on the cake. Made exactly as written but I used yellow cornmeal, couldn't find blue here. The jalapenos, scallions and parmesan cheese were a wonderful surprise. Thank you so much for sharing a recipe that I will be enjoying often, starting with this weekend.