These are a delicious savory waffle that can be used as a bed for your favorite chili or meat gravy. They also make a mean sandwich when split in half. The recipe has the instructions for both gluten free and regular. Leftovers can be stored in a sealed plastic bag and toasted as needed.
- 236.59 ml cornmeal or 236.59 ml gluten free cornmeal
- 236.59 ml all-purpose flour or 236.59 ml all purpose gluten-free flour
- 12.32 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml xanthan gum, optional for gluten free only
- 14.79 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml cumin
- 1.23 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml salt
- 73.94 ml dry buttermilk
- 295.73-354.88 ml water
- 59.14 ml vegetable oil (I use coconut oil.)
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 medium ear corn on the cob, kernels cut off and cob scraped
- 158.51 ml grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1-2 medium jalapeno pepper, finely diced (Remove seeds and ribs for a milder flavor.)
- In a large mixing bowl, blend together the cornmeal through buttermilk powder. In a 2 cup measuring cup, measure 1 1/4 cups of warm water, oil and egg yolks. Add the liquid ingredients to dry and combine thoroughly. Mix in additional water as needed to make a smooth batter. Stir in the corn, cheese and peppers. Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold into mixture.
- Preheat waffle iron as per manufacturers directions. Lightly coat with cooking spray. Spoon batter onto to hot waffle iron and bake until golden brown. Repeat for additional waffles.
- Please note: My waffle iron is a 2 waffle Belgian waffle iron and each waffle measures 4 in x 3-1/2 inches.