Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
fat reduced corn bread fast and simple....use either low fat buttermilk and cheese or non fat products works either way.
- 1 1⁄4 cups cornmeal
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 cups fat-free buttermilk or 1 1⁄2 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 2 beaten egg whites
- 3⁄4 cup corn kernel (frozen or fresh thawed)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded nonfat cheddar cheese
- 1 -2 tablespoon chopped fine jalapeno pepper
- Combine dry ingredients and combine well.
- Combine wet ingredients stir well.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients just until moist.
- Fold in the corn, cheese, and peppers.
- Spray a 9 inch skillet with a cooking spray.
- Spread batter evenly.
- Bake 350 degrees F for 25 to 30 minutes, or Just until a tester comes away clean.
- Remove and let sit four to five minutes before cutting into wedges.
This was ok.....could use more of everything......more cheese, more jalapeno and a bit more sugar. I ended up whipping up a brown sugar butter to help the flavor a bit. Not bad, but was expecting more based on the reviews.
This was not the usual corn bread . Not good at all. Would not make again.
This is soooo good ! My husband does not know it is low fat ( he would turn his nose up at the idea ) We just wont tell him. I have served it twice and he loved it ! Had to bake a little longer for the high altitude but comes out beautiful! Super recipe! its now 4-25-09 this has become a family favorite, thanks again!