Recipe by Celeste :)
Ole! This festive cornbread is sure to tingle your tastebuds. Serve it with soups, stews, and chili. HINT: Frozen corn kernels do not need to be thawed before they are pulsed in the food processor.
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup unbleached flour or 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups corn kernels
- 1 cup nonfat sour cream (8 oz.)
- 4 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 3⁄4 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese (3 oz.)
- 1 (4 ounce) candiced jalapenos or 1 (4 ounce) can green chili peppers, drained
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400*. Lightly coat a 9x9" baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Lightly coat a small skillet with nonstick spray and warm over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occassionally, for 5 minutes, or until soft. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the cornmeal, unbleached or all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In a food processor, pulse the corn until almost creamy but still lumpy (this will not work in a blender). Transfer to a bowl and whisk with the sour cream, egg whites, and applesauce. Pour into the flour mixture and stir just until moistened. Fold in the onion, cheese, and chile peppers.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes, or until the cornbread is golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes in the pan. Cut into 9 squares.