Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Off of the El Paso Bar-B-Que companies website at http://www.elpasobarbeque.com/recipes2.htm
- 1 1⁄2 cups cornmeal
- 3⁄4 cup sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour, plus
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup egg yolk
- 1⁄4 cup salad oil
- 1⁄4 cup minced yellow onion
- 1⁄4 cup minced green bell pepper, plus
- 3 tablespoons minced green bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeno pepper
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons diced pimentos
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole kernel corn (frozen or fresh)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8- x 4-inch loaf pan or 8- x 8-inch square pan and set aside. In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, sugar, salt, flour, baking powder and baking soda. In a separate bowl, mix buttermilk, eggs and oil with an electric mixer. Pour the buttermilk mixture into the cornmeal mixture and stir well.
- Stir in the onion, green pepper, jalapenos, pimentos and corn. Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake 18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. If using a square pan, check bread for doneness after 12-15 minutes. Serve hot.
- Approximate values per serving: 166 calories, 7 g fat, 31 mg cholesterol, 4 g protein, 22 g carbohydrates, 1 g fiber, 374mg sodium, 39 percent calories from fat.