Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Fast. Easy. Delicious. What's not to like. The apple butter is a nice counter point of flavor. Give it a try.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 lb shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup apple butter (optional)
- Preheat oven to temperature 350 degrees F.
- Sift together first 5 ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Stir in cheese and peppers.
- Lightly beat eggs in another bowl until blended.
- Add buttermilk and oil and mix thoroughly.
- Transfer egg mixture to corn meal mixture and stir until mixture is just.
- Pour batter into buttered 8 inch square baking pan.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until tester comes out clean when inserted in center.
- Serve cornbread with apple butter if desired.