Recipe by CCinSC
This makes a large pan of cornbread with a kick! If you prefer a milder version just leave out the peppers. It's delicious either way.
Top Review by CCinSC
Thanks for your comments Caryn. I just wanted to mention that this is a very moist cornbread but not as moist as a spoonbread. If you try it again, you may want to up the cooking time a bit.
- 1 sweet onion (Texas Sweet, Vidalia)
- 3⁄4 lb sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1 (14 3/4 ounce) can creamed corn
- 1 (16 ounce) container sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1 (4 ounce) candiced jalapenos or 4 fresh jalapenos, diced
- 1 cup plain yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Chop onion.
- Grate Cheese.
- Beat eggs in large mixing bowl.
- Stir in creamed corn, sour cream and oil.
- Fold in onion, cheese, and jalapenos.
- Add cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt.
- Mix well.
- Pour batter into greased 13 x 9 inch baking dish and bake at 350º until cooked through and golden brown on top, approximately 1 hour.
- *Note*You may need to place foil on top if cornbread is getting too brown on top but not yet cooked in the center.