Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This light and spicy new twist on an old favorite has no added fat. Allow several hours for marinating or make the salad a day ahead and refrigerate it. Hot and sweet, this slaw is perfect for picnics;serve alongside sandwiches, burgers, or grilled chicken.
- 6 cups preshredded cabbage or 6 cups coleslaw mix
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 6 green onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, finely chopped (see note)
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Combine cabbage,tomatoes,green onions,jalapenos,vinger,honey and salt in serving bowl;mix well. Cover and chill at least 2 hours before serving.
- Stir well immediately before serving.
- Note:jalapeno peppers can sting and irritate the skin;wear rubber gloves when handling peppers and do not touch eyes. Wash hands after handeling peppers.
- For a milder coleslaw,discard the seeds and veins when chopping the jajapenos, because this is where much of the heat of the pepper is stored.
This had a bite to it for sure. I used seasoned rice vinegar and a little cider vinegar and cut the recipe in half. Thanks for a healthy slaw. UPDATE: We had this again for dinner the next nite and it was 10 times tastier. So the more you let it mary (sp?), the better it gets!!
Very good tasting for a low fat recipe. Thanks!
Good flavor, but my peppers were too hot!! Came out well, will do again. Thanks for the recipe.