Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
I've been playing around with this recipe from Taste of Home Back Yard Grilling and think I've got it right for our taste. This is so good, it can be a meal in itself. It's a little heat intense, but we like it that way. We loved the combination of spices. Hope you try it.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 small purple onion, cut into strips
- 15 jalapeno peppers, halved and seeded
- 1 lb of shaved smoked ham (I used Petite Jean Smoked Ham. You can also use thin sliced bacon or prosciutto)
- bleu cheese salad dressing
- Cut chicken into 2 in strips that will fit the size of your pepper. (The size of the chicken strips will depend on how large your peppers are, so use your judgment. Even if they are bigger than the pepper, just tuck in what ever overlaps and it works fine).
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the garlic powder,onion powder, pepper, seasoned salt and paprika.
- Add Chicken and shake to coat.
- Place a chicken and onion strip in each jalapeno half. (If you don't like your onion a little crispy, saute in 1 tbl of butter for 2-3 minutes to soften).
- Wrap each pepper with a slice or two of the shaved smoked ham, enough to cover the entire pepper and place on baking sheet. You will need toothpicks if you use bacon or the prosciutto.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake peppers for 20-25 minutes or until the ham is slightly browned and chicken juice runs clear.
- You can also grill these:.
- Spray your grill with Pam.
- Grill peppers uncovered, over indiredct medium heat for 20-25 minutes or until chicken juices run clear and ham is slightly brown.
- Serve with blue cheese or ranch dressing.
- For a variety, try sprinkling some Italian Bread Crumbs on top before adding the ham It adds to the flavor.
Outstanding appy you have here! We loved them!
These were out-of-this-world good!! Easy to make and delicious - no dipping sauce needed!! FANTASTIC!!!
I made these for the football game yesterday, and ate them all day. Didn't even need the dipping sauce. I tried ham along with bacon, and was surprised when I enjoyed the ham more. My boyfriend said they needed some cheese in there, but I thought they were perfect as is. I will definately be making these little buggers again for the next game!