Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
(UPDATE: I just found out that the creator of this recipe is Recipezaar member dawnie2u! How cool is that?) I just got this recipe from Cook's Country magazine. A cook named Dawn from San Diego, California submitted it to the magazine and won first place in a chicken salad contest. We loved it so much, I thought I'd share it right away. You can find the pickled jalapeños in a can in the Mexican/ethnic section at the supermarket. You can also use this recipe for tuna. I served this over tostadas (crispy fried tortillas).
- 2⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 3 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1⁄2 medium celery rib, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup sliced pickled jalapeno chili, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- Mix mayonnaise and lime juice in a small bowl until combined.
- Toss chicken, celery, onion, bell pepper, cilantro, and jalapeños in a large bowl.
- Add the mayonnaise mixture and toss until evenly coated.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve or cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Tried this the other night with leftover roast chicken, and it was delicious! The jalapenos gave it a nice bite, but not too spicy. My husband said it was "one of the best, most interesting" things I've made. I don't know whether to be pleased or pissed! :) Used lemon juice instead of lime, no celery. Am trying it with tuna today!
WOW! This is wonderful!! We've made it twice this week! lol<br/><br/>Changes were minor. I used fat free plain yogurt with just a dollop of full fat mayo. And I didn't have fresh cilantro, so I pre-seasoned the chicken with dry cilantro salt and pepper before cooking it in the pan.<br/><br/>What a great meal. I will definitely be taking this to family get together's this summer. <br/><br/>Thanks!
A cool twist on a classic. Next time I might reduce the lime juice a bit as it was a little overpowering. Thank you.