Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep3 hrs 30 mins
This recipe comes from a regional magazine.
Make and share this Jalapeno Cheese Herb Bread recipe from Food.com.
- Proof yeast in warm water.
- In another bowl, combine milk, sugar, salt and shortening.
- Allow to cool until lukewarm.
- Add yeast and mix well.
- Add peppers, 1/2 c cheese, egg, nutmeg, sage, and 2 c flour.
- Beat until smooth.
- Add enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Knead on a floured surface until smooth and elastic.
- This should take about 8 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl and turn to grease the top.
- Cover and let rise until the dough doubles.
- This should take about 1 1/2 hours.
- Punch down and cover.
- Let the dough rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Shape in a round loaf and put the dough in a greased 8-9" pie plate.
- Cover and let rise until the dough doubles again.
- This should take about 1 hour.
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes.
- Place the remaining cheese on top and bake until the cheese melts and bread is done (about 15 minutes).