Recipe by UT Theta Chef
A great recipe that's quick and easy to make. I got it from a Merchant Mariner and have used it for years. Definitely a favorite and often asked for recipe.
Top Review by Kimberley R.
Love this recipe. I always bake mine up in a cast iron skillet and it takes less time to make. I also did not have regular milk one evening and used buttermilk in its place and it was amazing.
- 1 1⁄2 cups cornmeal
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup pickled jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix first 5 ingredients in large bowl
- Mix eggs, oil, and milk well in separate bowl.
- Pour liquid into dry mixing lightly (batter will be very lumpy).
- Add jalapeno and cheese mixing just until blended (batter should still be lumpy).
- Pour into greased 13x9 baking dish.
- Bake at 400 for 40 - 45 minute until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.