Recipe by gailanng
A delicious scone recipe by Chef Peter Oleyer served at Calexico Carne Asada restaurant. Nice served along side chili or beans.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted cold butter, diced
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 lb sharp cheddar cheese, diced small
- 2 small jalapeno peppers, minced (I remove seeds and membranes)
- egg wash (1 egg beaten with 1 teaspoon water)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400.
- In a small skillet, melt 1/2 tablespoon of butter. Saute jalapenos until soft, about 2 minutes. Place in a small bowl with Cheddar cheese and coat with 1 tablespoon of flour.
- In another bowl, combine the rest of the flour with baking powder and salt. Cut in remaining butter with a fork until the butter is pea-size.
- Lightly whip eggs and cream and add to the flour-and-butter mixture. Using a wooden spoon, fold mixture until it begins to come together. Add the Cheddar-and-jalapeno mixture to the dough and mix until everything is incorporated, but don't overwork.
- Turn out the dough onto a well-floured surface and knead gently for less than one minute. Roll dough 3/4 to 1-inch thick and cut into 8 triangles. Brush with egg wash and place on well-oiled baking sheet.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.