1/2 Photos of Jalapeno-Cheddar Cornbread
A Southern corn bread that even this Yankee can love. I'm originally from New England and wasn't raised on corn bread, and I generally found it dry and tasteless. But now that I'm living in Texas, I tried numerous variations on traditional recipes and developed this one that I like a lot, and that even Southern die-hard corn bread fans rave about.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place an 8-inch cast iron skillet in the oven and preheat to 400°F Let the pan get good and hot.
- 2In a large bowl, mix corn meal, sour cream, corn, oil, eggs and salt with a rubber spatula until all ingredients are incorporated.
- 3Mix in the cheddar and jalapenos.
- 4Remove the pan from the oven (use a thick mitt, the handle will be very hot) and place the bacon fat in it. Return to oven for a few minutes until fat melts and gets good and hot.
- 5Remove pan from oven and pour mixture into the center of the pan, letting it spread to the sides.
- 6Return pan to oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- 7Slice into wedges for serving. Do not let the bread cool in the pan -- it will stick.
- 8Great served still piping hot, or later when cooled.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jalapeno-Cheddar Cornbread
Serving Size: 1 (121 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 357.7
- Calories from Fat 263
- Total Fat 29.3 g
- Saturated Fat 9.7 g
- Cholesterol 104.1 mg
- Sodium 547.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 8.8 g