Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
These are great with a bowl of soup or with vegetables from the garden.
Make and share this Jalapeno-Cheddar Corn Muffins recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon seeded finely chopped fresh jalapeno pepper
- 1 3⁄4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup canned creamed corn (from a 14 oz. can)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Lightly butter 12 muffin cups; set aside.
- Add 1/2 cup butter to a large skillet, melt over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and cook for 8 minutes or until golden; remove the skillet from the heat; add jalapeno pepper; stir to combine.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; stir to combine.
- In another bowl, add the corn, buttermilk, egg, Tabasco, and the onion mixture; whisk until blended.
- Add the corn mixture to the dry ingredients, along with 1 cup cheese.
- Stir until just moistened; do not overmix.
- Pour batter evenly into 12 muffin cups.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake at 400° for 20-22 minutes or until golden and wooden pick comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack before removing from the pan.
I made these last night to go with cream of tomato soup and they were the perfect accompaniment. My picky, skinny husband ate FOUR of them! I added double the amount of jalapeno and used cayenne powder instead of Tabasco and they came out of the oven at exactly 22 minutes perfectly golden brown and delicious. Next time I am going to make these into mini muffins when we have friends over for cocktails - I'm sure they'll love them too.