Prep 40 mins
Cook 10 mins
From the cookbook "Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet" by Joni Marie Newman. You can vary the spice by the amount of jalapenos (or other types of peppers) you add. But I love the flavor and chewy texture. It holds together really well and stands up for grilling where other veggie burgers sometimes crumble. Dark miso works just fine too.
- 1 cup textured vegetable protein, granules (96g)
- 1 cup vegetable broth (235g)
- 1⁄4 cup nutritional yeast (30g)
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 12 slices jarred jalapenos, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons light miso (36g)
- 1⁄4 cup non-dairy cream cheese (60g)
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten (144g)
- Bring the veggie broth to a boil.
- Mix TVP, nutritional yeast, and liquid smoke together.
- Pour in veggie broth and let TVP rehydrate for about 10 minutes.
- Mix miso, cream cheese, jalapenos and garlic together.
- Add to TVP mixture and stir well.
- Add the vital wheat gluten and knead together until a nice dough forms. Allow to rest for 20 minutes.
- Form into four patties. (They are large.).
- Pan fry in oil for about 3-4 minutes per side. Or bake at 350F (180C) for 25 minutes, flipping halfway through. Or grill on a medium hot grill (brush with oil first) for 5-7 minutes per side.
- Goes great with mayo, mustard, ketchup, or my favorite -- Annie's Green Goddess salad dressing.