From Brown Sugar on Tasty Kitchen, posted in response to a request. It sure isn't health food, but hits all the right spots! Remove seeds from two of the jalapenos to reduce the heat.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb bacon
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 3 medium jalapeno chiles, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups dark beer or 1 1/2 cups ale
- 1/2 c.heavy cream
- 1 tbsp.dijon-style mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack pepper cheese
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt, pepper to taste
- 1Cook the bacon in a large pot on medium heat until slightly crisp, about 7 minutes. With a slotted spoon, remove the bacon and place on top of a plate lined with paper towels, leaving all the bacon grease in the pan.
- 2Add the onion, celery, jalapeno, and garlic to the bacon fat left in the pan and saute on medium heat until the vegetables are translucent, about 7 minutes. Add the butter and continue to stir the veggies along with the butter so the veggies don’t stick to the pan or burn.
- 3Once the butter has melted, stir in the flour and cook for a minute or two. Add the chicken broth slowly, stirring constantly to prevent lumps.
- 4Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring frequently and scraping the bottom of the pot to get all the bacon fat mixed into the soup.
- 5Add the beer to the pot and simmer, stirring frequently, for another 10 minutes. Stir in the heavy cream, mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Crumble the bacon and return the bacon to the soup. Add the cheeses to the pan and stir until the cheese completely melts. Add the cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper to taste. Serve hot.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jalapeno Beer Cheese Soup
Serving Size: 1 (187 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 362.7
- Calories from Fat 268
- Total Fat 29.8 g
- Saturated Fat 13.4 g
- Cholesterol 63.2 mg
- Sodium 621.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 13.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: