Recipe by Bonnie G #2
From Cooking.com Jalapenos and bacon spice up these cheesy, zesty hush puppies
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and finely minced
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3⁄4 cup self-rising flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1⁄2 small onion, grated
- 1⁄4 cup chives, chopped
- 2 cups sour cream, divided
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup TABASCO® brand Chipotle Pepper Sauce
- 1 lime, juice and zest
- peanut oil, for frying
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oil in a deep-fryer or Dutch oven to 350 degrees F.
- In bowl, combine bacon, jalapeno, cornmeal, flour, cayenne, paprika, onion, chives, 1 cup sour cream, egg and cheese.
- Mix well to combine.
- Drop heaping tablespoon-sized amounts of the mixture into the hot oil. Fry in batches for 2 to 3 minutes each.
- Remove from the oil to paper towels to drain and season immediately with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a serving platter or bowl and serve with the dip.
- For the dip:
- Combine remaining cup of sour cream, Chipotle Tabasco, and lime juice and zest. Mix well to combine.