Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
- 4 slice bacon
- 59.14 ml green onion, minced
- 59.14 ml jalapeno pepper, diced (pickled or bottled)
- 236.59 ml yellow cornmeal
- 236.59 ml flour
- 12.32 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml sea salt
- 1 egg
- 177.44 ml plain yogurt
- 177.44 ml milk
- 59.14 ml butter, melted
- 118.29 ml cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cook bacon until crisp and drain on paper towel.
- Grease a 9" pan with bacon drippings.
- Crumble bacon into a bowl and add green onion, jalepenos, cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg and add yogurt, milk, and melted butter.
- Whisk until smooth.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Pour mixture into pan and sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the pan comes out clean.
- Serve warm.
Saw the recipe on PAC Fall07 today and just had to make it. In order to keep the nutrition aligned with my diet, I had to leave out the bacon and cheese(sad!) and used FF milk and yogurt. In addition to the canned jalepeno, I added one fresh, diced jalepeno and 1/4 cup diced red pepper. I can only imagine how AMAZING it would be with bacon and cheese... I'll have to save that for a special occasion! It is wonderful and will be a regular! Thanks so much, QTE!
I loved the addition of bacon and jalapeno peppers. I served this with QTE's Black Bean Chowder (Black Bean Chowder) and it was a great addition. Will make this again. This was a NN adoptee for PAC Fall 2007.