Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This corn bread is so moist and flavorful. It reheats beautifully in the microwave.
- 4 slices bacon
- 1⁄4 cup minced green onion
- 2 -3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup yogurt
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese or 1⁄2 cup monterey jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 400*.
- Cook bacon in frying pan until crispy; drain on paper towels.
- Pour 2 Tblsp. of bacon grease into 9 inch cast iron skillet or 9 inch square baking pan.
- Crumble bacon into small bowl;add green onions and peppers.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl.
- Beat egg slightly in medium bowl; add yogurt and whisk until smooth. Whisk in milk and butter.
- Pour liquid mixture into dry ingredients; stir just until moistened.
- Stir in bacon mixture.
- Pour into skillet or baking pan; sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until toothpick tests clean.
- Cut into wedges or squares; serve hot.
I haven't had cornbread in ages and just couldn't resist when I saw this. I loved that it has NO sugar or any other sweetening. This is the cornbread style that my Texas heritage instilled in me as the way to make it, not sweet. I've never added bacon to cornbread, at least not that I can remember, but it sure is good. Thanks CJAY for a great recipe. I feel like I've gone home for a bit. Made for ZWT 8, Alamo challenge.