Recipe by Bergy
This recipe was originally from Bon Appetit using Piquillo Peppers but they are not readily available in my area so I have made the recipe "Home" friendly. If you wish to cut back on fat sub an "no oil" spray on the bread instead of olive oil. "No Oil" is similar to Pam. If you like "HOT" sprinkle the sardines with a few drops of hot sauce before adding the Jalapenos or if you like mild use sweet red peppers. Save some lemon wedges for garnish.
Top Review by SloppyJoe
In response to a direct question to Bergy, this is what I did for DH...Drizzled the bread with Olive Oil and baked til crispy on ALL sides but still slightly soft in the middle as is his preference. Removed the bread from the oven and rubbed with a Garlic Clove. Topped with Smoked Oysters, very thin sliced Red Onion, as much Jalapeno as would "stay" and a drizzle of Lemon Juice (Capers were ommitted). DH raved over it! Smoked Oysters is always his "Treat" when we go camping and something he enjoys around the campfire. Looks like I'll have to start thinking more "Gourmet" next camping trip! :) Thanks Bergy for a GREAT treat to serve my husband!!
- 12 1⁄2 inches thick slices baguette, cut on the diagonal, Apprx 3-inch length each
- 2 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 (106 g) cansboneless skinless sardines (packed in water)
- 6 slices onions, very thin cut separated into rings
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 36 capers, well drained
- 2 large jalapenos, finely chopped
- 1 bunch parsley (optional)
- lemon wedge (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Brush each slice of bread, both sides lightly with olive oil or spray lightly with "No Oil".
- Place slices under the broiler for apprx 1 minute each side or until the slices area very light brown.
- Place the slices on a large platter and evenly distribute the finely chopped garlic on top of each slice.(or if you are not really a garlic lover just rub each slice with a clove of garlic).
- Carefully remove the sardines from the cans trying not to break the filets.
- Sprinkle sardines with lemon juice.
- Top the baquette slices with the sardine filets.
- Place a couple of rings of onion on top then 3 capers on each.
- Finally sprinkle on the finely chopped Jalapenos.
- Garnish the platter with some parsley & Lemon wedges.
- Serve & enjoy.