Recipe by Leslie in Texas
Not sure exactly where this recipe is from. It was printed on a piece of paper, dated 1/96, and stuck in one of my favorite recipe books, Thought I'd post it here so I don't lose it! Bread bowls are great for this soup, which is a family favorite.
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 1 cup fresh cauliflower, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh green beans, 1/2 inch slices
- 1 jalapeno, cut in half, lengthwise
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups low-fat milk (2%)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- cayenne pepper, a dash
- 1 (11 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 2⁄3 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded, as garnish
- tony's seasoning, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Coat a large saucepan with cooking spray; place over medium heat until hot.
- Add onions, saute 5 minutes, or til tender, but not browned.
- Add broth and next 5 ingredients ( broth through jalapeno); bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Place flour in a medium bowl.
- Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended.
- Add milk mixture, white pepper, red pepper,Tony's seasoning to taste, and corn to pan and stir well.
- Cook over medium heat about 7 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Discard jalapeno pepper and ladle into bowls, sprinkling each serving with some cheddar cheese.