Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Recipe source: Saveur (April 2004)
Make and share this Jalapeno and Bacon Cornbread Muffins recipe from Food.com.
- 8 slice bacon
- 29.58 ml Crisco or 29.58 ml other vegetable shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 5 pickled jalapeno peppers, stemmed, drained and chopped
- 14.79 ml jalapeno juice
- 14.79 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 4.92 ml salt
- 1.23 ml cumin
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 473.18 ml cornmeal
- 354.88 ml buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 425-degrees F.
- Fry bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crisp (10-15 minutes).
- Transfer bacon to paper towels to drain.
- Crumble bacon and set aside.
- Pour bacon fat into a bowl and set aside.
- Melt Crisco and 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat together in the same skillet over medium heat.
- Grease a muffin tin with remaining bacon grease and transfer to oven so muffin tin will be hot.
- In a large bowl beat eggs.
- Add bacon, onions, jalapenos, pickling juice, sugar, baking soda, salt, cumin and pepper and stir well to combine.
- Add cornmeal and buttermilk and stir to combine.
- Add the hot fat (from the skillet) and stir until combined.
- Remove muffin tin from oven.
- Pour batter into muffin tins.
- Bake or 15-20 minutes or until done and toothpick comes clean.
Very nice combination of sweet, heat and savoury! I substituted margarine for the shortening and had to add more than was called for - my bacon only produced about 1 tablespoon of fat (must have come from a skinny pig ;-). I also omitted the sugar as I personally felt the corn would provide enough sweeteness, and I think it was a good call. The 12 muffins needed 18 minutes at 220 C, and were definitely at their prime when still warm! Thank you for the lovely recipe!