Prep 10 mins
Cook 52 mins
This is a nice twist on patties--great for vegatarians.
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup wild rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced onions
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger or 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Combine water, rice and 1/4 teaspoon salt in medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 40 to 45 minutes or until rice is tender. Drain rice, if necessary; place in medium bowl. Add flour, baking powder and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt; mix until blended.
- Whisk egg, jalapeño pepper, onion and ginger together in small bowl. Pour egg mixture over rice; mix until well blended.
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Spoon 2 tablespoons rice mixture into pan and shape into 3-inch cake. Cook, 4 cakes at a time, 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Transfer to paper towels. Serve immediately or refrigerate rice cakes for up to 24.