1/2 Photos of Jalapeño Garlic Tilapia Panini
This is my own personal copycat recipe mimicking Johnny Carino's sandwich. Their menu description is "Fried fillet of tilapia with a garlic-jalapeño cream sauce, provolone cheese and sliced roma tomatoes." I think that I have accomplished this by using ideas from CoffeeMom's Super Easy Ritz Cracker Breading (Super Easy Ritz Cracker Breading) and ketchup's Garlic Cream Sauce (Garlic Cream Sauce for Chicken/Seafood/Pasta). (Thanks, guys!) We love this sandwich.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tilapia fillets
- 1 cup Club crackers, finely crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small jalapeno, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 8 slices hearty country Italian bread
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 roma tomatoes, sliced thinly
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- 2Crush crackers and combine with pepper.
- 3Dip fish fillets into beaten egg, and then coat with cracker crumbs.
- 4Fry in 350 degree oil until breading is golden and fish flakes easily.
- 5Remove to an oven-proof plate in a warm oven.
- 7Melt butter on low heat. Add jalapeño and garlic. Sauté until jalapeño is softened, but be careful not to burn garlic.
- 8Add flour and stir while heating about a minute.
- 9Add chicken broth and cook stirring until sauce thickens. Stir in sour cream.
- 10Set aside until ready to assemble the panini's.
- 12Brush one side of each slice of bread with olive oil or spread with butter.
- 13Assemble sandwiches with oiled/buttered side of bread to the outside, layering provolone cheese, sliced tomatoes, tilapia fillet, cream sauce and final slice of bread.
- 14Spray a cast iron grill pan with cooking spray and heat to sizzling. Reduce heat to medium.
- 15Place sandwich in grill pan and top with second cast iron skillet. Press down lightly. (You want to smush the sandwich lightly, but not squash it completely.).
- 16Cook for 1-2 minutes, depending on the heat of your pan, until the sandwich is browned and grill marks are evident.
- 17Flip sandwich and again top with second cast iron skillet. Cook for another minute or so, until fully browned.
- 18Serve warm with fresh salad or crunchy kettle-cooked chips.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jalapeño Garlic Tilapia Panini
Serving Size: 1 (370 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 649.7
- Calories from Fat 323
- Total Fat 35.9 g
- Saturated Fat 16.2 g
- Cholesterol 162.7 mg
- Sodium 1144.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 47.6 g