Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
The caipirinha is a perfect summer cocktail - full flavored Brazilian sugarcane rum (cachaca), cut by zesty lime and sweet sugar. This version uses muddled jalapeño. At first sip, you get sweetness and light, but then a warming rush of the chili pepper comes in like a burst of tropical sun. Served at Brasserio Caviar and Banana in NYC.
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 lime, quartered
- 1⁄2 fresh jalapeno, seeded
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 ounces cachaca (sugarcane rum)
- In a highball glass, muddle the jalapeño pepper with the sugar and lime. The jalapeño seeds may be added back in to taste, but will make the cocktail hotter. Fill the glass with ice, then fill the glass with cachaca, and stir up from the bottom or shake to mix.
- Here's how you "muddle" ingredients for a cocktail:.
- Place ingredients into an old fashioned glass, small bowl or mixing glass.
- If using the glass, wrap a towel around it, in case it breaks.
- Using a wooden muddler or back of a spoon, crush ingredients against the sides and bottom.
- Mix so all ingredients are well married.
- Prepare your cocktail.
- A mortar and pestle may be used when making a lot of drinks.
- Always use the freshest ingredients.
- Wood will not scratch your glass.
WooHoo!!!I love Caipirinhas and this has added a great new twist. I did not add the seeds and i used a whole lime (quartered). Fantastic twist on an old favorite...Thanks!