Prep 40 mins
Cook 0 mins
A very popular Indian drink for the hot summer months,Jal Jeera's unique combination of tamarind,cumin,mint,and salt is strangely addictive!The tamarind and cumin are said to be especially useful for cooling the body in hot weather or from a fever.Use the pre peeled packaged tamarind pulp with seeds found in Asian or Latin grocereies.The original recipe is from Saveur issue no.100.
- 1⁄4 lb tamarind pulp
- 5 cups hot water
- 1⁄2 tablespoon whole cumin seed
- 2 tablespoons unrefined sugar (such as soft jaggery or you may substitute turbinado)
- 1 teaspoon black salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 10 fresh mint leaves
- Bring water to a boil.Meanwhile break tamarind into large pieces and place in a bowl.Remove water from heat and pour over the tamarind.set aside to soak for 30 minutes.Strain through a fine mesh strainer,pressing on the pulp with the back of a spoon extracting as much as possible and discarding the seeds and remaining pods and reserving the tamarind water.
- Toast cumin seeds over medium heat until they pop.Remove immediately.
- Place all ingredients in a blender.Blend on high until well combined.You may strain if desired.serve chilled or over ice.