Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
I got a craving for potato soup one day, so i developed the soup the way I like it. Easy to make, very hearth, and a crowd pleaser.
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 diced onion
- 2 tablespoons basil, fresh
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 12 -15 large potatoes, half peeled,diced
- 5 cups milk
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 10 strips bacon, chopped
- salt and pepper
- bacon bits (optional)
- green onion (optional)
- cheddar cheese (optional)
- Sauté the onions in the 2 tablespoons butter and basil over medium-high heat until softened.
- Add potatoes to a large pot with just enough water to cook.
- Season the potatoes with salt.
- Bring to a boil; cover and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add the milk, remaining butter, salt and pepper to taste.
- Continue to cook over medium heat until hot; do not boil.
- With a potato masher, mash some of the potatoes right in the pot to slightly thicken the soup.
- Add the chopped bacon, cheddar cheese and/or green onions before soup is ready to be served.
You can't beat potato soup on a cold winter day.Be sure to cook bacon before adding to soup or use the precooked kind.I thought I should post this warning for any new cooks.