I worked for a number of years in a women's correctional facility and these were a regular treat. You won't believe how good they are. Put a good tablespoon full of jam in each donut
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat oil in your deep fryer to 375-380 degrees F.
- 2Spread your favorite jam on 12 slices of the bread (fruit jams or jelly are best rather than marmalade).
- 3Cover with another slice of the crustless bread and cut the sandwich into any shape you want, into thre pieces to make a Bismark type of doughnut, or cut them into four squares, whatever pleases you.
- 4Beat the eggs, milk, sugar and Vanilla together.
- 5LIGHTLY DIP both sides of the dougnut in the egg mixture (do not soak the doughnut).
- 6When deepfryer has reached the right temperature (375-380f) drop in a few doughnuts and fry about 2 minutes on each side. It is extremely important that you have the temperature high enough and do not soak the bread in the egg just dip them or you will end up with soggy, greasy lumps.
- 7They should be golden and crisp.
- 8Wait a few minutes between batches to ensure the temp is hot enough or you will end up with a grease soaked doughnut.
- 9Drain on a rack.
- 10If you wish you can drizzle icing sugar over them just after you remove them from the fryer or have them plain.
Nutritional Facts for Jailhouse Doughnuts
Serving Size: 1 (1633 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 68.7
- Calories from Fat 16
- Total Fat 1.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 31.7 mg
- Sodium 131.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 2.7 g