Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
We enjoy this tremendously.
For the Meat
- 1 lb pork cutlet, about 1/2 ",thick
- 1 -2 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs (I use gluten-free)
For the Gravy
- 2 ounces bacon, diced
- 4 ounces onions, chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 dash thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- Pound the cutlets and rub in the salt and pepper.
- Let stand for about 10 minutes.
- Dip cutlets into the beaten egg and then, crumbs.
- Brown in a small amount of oil over low heat for about 10 minutes on each side.
- While meat is browning, saute' the bacon and onions until golden brown.
- Add the tomato paste and mushrooms and saute' over a low heat.
- Add the wine, water, and seasonings; let simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the sour cream.
- Pour over the schnitzel.
well with seeing a few other german types of schnitzels this one is ONE of them that is made the right way. schnitzel all together tastes good no matter what type you make. Just have to make sure you make it right.
I was expecting the Jagerschnitzel I get here in Baveria and this gravy was far from the mushroom gravy I get on my jagerschnitzel. The sauce does not thicken and the wine taste is not appetizing (I thought it would have cooked all the way off) and I even cooked it a little longer to try and get it to cook off. I put to much pepper in the sauce, but that still would not have made me want to cook this again.