Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a delicious pork dish that my family enjoys. Makes about six good-sized servings. Serve with sides of apple sauce and red cabbage for a great German meal.
- 3 -5 lbs pork roast, cut into 3/4-inch-thick cutlets, about 6 cutlets
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1⁄2 piece chopped bacon
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 1⁄2 lb chopped mushroom
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine or 1⁄2 cup water
- Pound the pork cutlets with a mallet until they are 1/4-inch thin. Combine 1 cup flour, salt and pepper in a large dish and dredge the cutlets in the flour mixture. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large frying pan, place the thin cutlets in hot oil, and brown approximately five minutes on each side. Drain and place the browned cutlets in a casserole dish.
- Add bacon, onion and mushrooms to hot oil in the frying pan, and simmer for approximately 10 minutes until the bacon,chopped onions and mushrooms are cooked. Add remaining 1/4 cup flour and 1/4 white wine to the pan to make gravy. Add remaining 1/4 cup liquid if necessary and cook over low heat until gravy is thickened.
- Pour the bacon and onion/mushroom gravy over the cutlets in the casserole dish. Tightly cover the casserole dish and place in the preheated oven and cook for 30 to 35 minutes until tender.
Right on! This is like money! Made it just like recipe. Very good groceries! Thank you!
Nice tender cutlets with a flavorful sauce. I used a 3.5 lb roast and got 8 cutlets. I substituted extra virgin olive oil for the canola oil. I did run into a slight problem... there would not have been enough gravey to cover all of the cutlets... good excuse to use more wine and a little flour. Thanks for the recipe it was enjoyed by all.
Delicious pork cutlets. Used Flour Shake and Bake for Chicken for the seasoned flour and potato water from boiling potatoes for home fries instead of the wine or water. Also served with Kapusta (Sauerkraut), pickled beets, cole slaw, and rye bread. Wonderful dinner. They taste just like the cutlets served in my favorite restaurant The Black Forest Inn here in Hamilton Ontario Canada.