Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
After spending 6 years in Germany, I decided to finally make this meal from scratch. This really turned out to be a very tasty meal. I use the left over oil for a side order of fries while I fix the gravy. The gravy also makes an excellent dip for the shoe string fries.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Pound cutlets with a meat tenderizer to flatten them.
- Season cutlets with salt and pepper, dredge them in beaten eggs and then coat evenly with bread crumbs.
- Place cutlets into oil in skillet.
- Fry until golden brown (1 or 2 minutes on each side).
- Remove the meat from the skillet and drain on paper towels.
- Keep the meat warm in the oven while you make the gravy. I set the oven at 200 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Sauté bacon, onions, and mushrooms until golden brown.
- Add gravy and sauté over a low heat.
- Add thyme, paprika, parsley, pepper, and salt.
- Simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Pour gravy over Schnitzel just before serving.
Yum! This is my new go to recipe gravy recipe for schnitzel!! Thank you!
My son had just come back from Germany and asked for this. Cooked this and it was excellent, just what was ordered.
This was excellent. The only difference when I was in Germany was, the cutlets were slit and stuffed with mushrooms!