Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
After spending 6 years in Germany, I decided to finally make this meal from scratch. This really turned out to be a very tasty meal. I use the left over oil for a side order of fries while I fix the gravy. The gravy also makes an excellent dip for the shoe string fries.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Pound cutlets with a meat tenderizer to flatten them.
- Season cutlets with salt and pepper, dredge them in beaten eggs and then coat evenly with bread crumbs.
- Place cutlets into oil in skillet.
- Fry until golden brown (1 or 2 minutes on each side).
- Remove the meat from the skillet and drain on paper towels.
- Keep the meat warm in the oven while you make the gravy. I set the oven at 200 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Sauté bacon, onions, and mushrooms until golden brown.
- Add gravy and sauté over a low heat.
- Add thyme, paprika, parsley, pepper, and salt.
- Simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Pour gravy over Schnitzel just before serving.