Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 55 mins
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, Minced
- 1⁄4 lb mushroom, Sliced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb beef, Ground, Coarse Grind (Ground beef should only be ground once and be the leanest you can get.)
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 medium potatoes
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs, Fine, Dry
- In a frypan saute onions and mushrooms in vegetable oil until soft.
- Add ground beef; saute mixture 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in broth; bring to a simmer.
- Add worcestershire sauce, 1/2 t salt, and 1/4 t pepper.
- Peel the potatoes and boil them in salted water until tender, about 30 minutes.
- Drain and put through a food mill or grinder.
- Beat in 2 T butter, 1/2 t salt, 1/4 t pepper.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Beat in eggs.
- Layer mixtures in a 1 1/2-quart buttered baking dish.
- Spread 1/3 of potatoes on bottom of dish.
- Top with 1/2 of the meat mixture.
- Continue with layers, ending with a layer of potatoes.
- Sprinkle the top with bread crumbs, and dot with remaining butter.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes and then at 400 degrees for 10 minutes more.