Recipe by mollypaul
A traditional dish from Cape Cod from an old cookbook that would have required long cooking on the stove. Nowadays, the crockpot would be the appliance of choice. Overnight soaking time not included. From the US Regional Cookbook, Chicago Culinary Arts Institute, 1947
- 8 cups dried lima beans
- 3⁄4 lb salt pork
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 bell pepper, minced
- 3 cups uncooked rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak the beans overnight.
- Drain the water, rinse and cover with fresh water; boil for 90 minutes.
- Brown the salt pork in a heavy skillet, turning frequently so that the entire piece will brown.
- Add the onions and cook until golden brown.
- Pour this mixture into the beans and add the remaining ingredients.
- Cover and let simmer for 7 hours.