Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Low fat cake with a nice blend of chocolate chips and oranges
Make and share this Jaffa Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 1⁄2 unsweetened applesauce (I tend to make my own using 3 apples and no sugar)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 oranges
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips
- 2 cups self raising flour
- Grease a small loaf pan.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form, gradually beat in Splenda.
- Mix apples and bicarbonate soda, being careful as it will froth a little.
- Carefully fold in apples in egg whites along with grated rind from the oranges and chocolate chips.
- Stir in sifted flour and juice from oranges and place in prepared tin and cook in moderate oven for around 30-40 minutes.
- For icing mix together 3/4 cup icing sugar and 1 to 2 tablespoons of orange juice.
There's also a recipe for a *giant* Jaffa Cake here: http://jafferygoodness.com/?offset=3
The taste was good, but my oranges weren't juicy enough I guess, because the cake was drier and heavier than I expected. Temperatures and quantities of ingredients need to be a little clearer for idiots like me! Although it negated the "healthy" aspect, it was excellent served warm with ice cream.
Good taste- It overfilled my small loaf pan. I pureed the oranges for the juice. I cooked at 350