Recipe by Kendra*
This was one of the first recipes I found (who knows where?) when I decided years ago that I really liked shrimp. I usually serve this over rice for a very pretty, colorful dinner. It's also good when made with scallops instead of shrimp.
- 3 tablespoons rice wine
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 lb shrimp, deveined and peeled
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced green peppers or 1⁄2 cup red pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons water
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine marinade ingredients and pour over shrimp.
- Let shrimp marinate for 10 minutes while assembling remaining ingredients.
- Heat 1 T oil in a large frying pan.
- Add almonds to oil and stir-fry for 2 minutes or until browned and crisp, then remove almonds from pan.
- Add green or red pepper to pan and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add green onion to pepper and stir-fry for an additional 2 minutes.
- Remove pepper and onion from pan and set aside.
- Heat remaining 1 T oil in skillet until hot.
- Remove shrimp from marinade (reserve marinade) and stir-fry for 2- 3 minutes or until shrimp turns pink.
- Add reserved marinade, pepper and onions, peas, and water, and stir-fry for an additional 2 minutes more, until peas are heated through.
- Top with reserved almonds before serving.