Recipe by Epi Curious
Crispy on the outside, soft on the inside. Jacques Torres is the pastry chef at a famous NY restaurant. Not your everyday chocolate chip cookie...more special. From cookiemadness.net.
Top Review by mianbao
These are fantastic! I did reduce the salt to a scant teaspoon, but maybe the chef was using coarse salt, and I was using salted butter. I also added about 1 1/2 cups chopped toasted macadamia nuts, because I find it hard to imagine chocolate chip cookies without nuts. I am just getting used to a new oven, so baking them enough, while not overbaking them was a little tricky at first. I think I got it right in the end, though. I treated my co-workers to a snack, and asked for scores out of 5. The lowest was 5.5. Thank you very much for sharing this wonderful recipe with us.
- 1⁄2 lb unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar, plus
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 10 tablespoons light brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups pastry flour, plus
- 1 tablespoon pastry flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups bread flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 lb good quality dark chocolate, chopped coarsely
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or nonstick baking mats; set aside. Don't grease the baking sheets because this might cause extra spreading.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugars. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Reduce speed to low and add vanilla, then add both flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and chocolate; mix until well combined.
- Using a 4-ounce scoop for larger cookies or a 1-ounce scoop for smaller cookies, scoop cookie dough onto prepared baking sheets, about 2 inches apart. Bake until lightly browned, but still soft, about 20 minutes for larger cookies and about 15 minutes for smaller cookies. If you use a rounded tablespoon, check your cookies at 12 minutes. Cool slightly on baking sheets before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- If you use a very generously rounded tablespoon or a 1 scoop, you'll get about 4 dozen cookies.