Recipe by Chef Kate
This is an amazingly easy way to make classic French Onion Soup. The quality of your stock will determine the quality of the soup. This makes four lovely individual crocks of cheese topped soup, assuming your crocks will hold at least two cups.
Top Review by Bigtime
This recipe is spot on! It is a great base for French Onion Soup, leaving much room for adjustments, substitutions and general shenanigans. I followed the base recipe to the t using Shop Rite brand organic beef flavored stock. I added about 1/2cup Fino dry Sherry. 1/4 cup at beginning and 1/4 cup before putting it in the oven. I baked the whole batch together using Organic Valley PROVOLONE cheese and it came out AMAZING! I can't imagine this recipe with homemade stock and the right variety of cheese. <br/><br/>Pair with a Semi-dry Pinot Grigio or your favorite wine. <br/><br/>A meal in and of itself....Thanks Jacques and Kate!
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 onions, sliced
- 7 cups unsalted chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 16 slices baguette
- 10 ounces gruyere, grated on the large hole side of a box grater (or Comte or Emmenthaler)
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan and saute the onions over medium high heat for about eight minutes or until they are lightly browned.
- Add stock, salt and pepper (if your stock is salted, do not add additional salt) and boil gently for about 15 minutes.
- In the meanwhile, pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
- Toast the baguette slices in the oven.
- Place one or two slices of baguette in the bottom of each of four ovenproof crocks.
- Add 1/4 cup of grated cheese to each crock and place the crocks on a cookie sheet.
- Ladle the onion and stock mixture into the crocks.
- Top with the remaining grated cheese, pressing some of the cheese against the lip of each crock.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until cheese is beautifully browned.
- In the last few moments, place the remaining baguette slices in the oven to warm.
- Serve the soup immediately with the toasted slices of baguette.