Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Chef Pepin's recipe for a tasty vegetarian stock.
Make and share this Jacques Pepin's Clear Vegetable Stock recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup dried porcini mushrooms
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium leek, cleaned thoroughly and thinly sliced
- 3 celery ribs, sliced thin
- 6 cloves garlic, sliced
For Herbes de Provence
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried savory
- 1 tablespoon dried marjoram
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried fennel seed (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried sage (optional)
- 1 teaspoon rosemary (optional)
- 1 teaspoon lavender (optional)
- Place all ingredients, along with ingredients for Herbes de Provence, and 10 cups of water into a stockpot or heavy kettle.
- Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour; strain.
Very easy, is a delicious base for lighter fare. Excellent reduced, enriched with cream, over wild rice. To get a clear broth, wrap the ingredients in cheescloth. And be sure to use dried mushrooms.
I never can find vegetable broth at Walmart so made this recipe to freeze and have on hand when I need it. Couldnt find dried porcini mushrooms so I used dried portobello's. A dear friend sent me a bottle of herbes de provence so I sprinkled that in the stock and tasted as it cooked. This is a pretty deep colored stock and tastes great. Thank you Sue L. for posting, I will make this again. Made and reviewed for the Iron Chef......Secret Ingredient recipe tag game.
This was really good, and very easy. I left out the lavender, as I didn't have any, and used fresh sage in place of the dried. I doubled the recipe, as I needed a gallon of stock for another recipe. This produced a beautiful amber colored stock that smelled wonderful. I'll definately use again.