Tasty, simple French cooking from the master. This is from his More Fast Food My Way. If you aren't familiar with his books, look for them. I love Fast Food My Way and Sweet Simplicity.
- Preheat oven to 175F.
- Cut extra skin and fat off each thigh. Cut a 1/2 " slit into meat on either side of the bone, so that chicken will cook faster and evenly.
- Season thighs with 1/2 tsp of salt and 1/2 tsp of pepper.
- Place chicken into non-stick skillet, skin side down, on high heat.
- When chicken starts to sizzle, cover and reduce heat to medium. Cook for 16-18 minutes. If browning too quickly after 10 minutes, reduce heat to low.
- Transfer chicken, skin side up, to a heat proof platter and place in oven to keep warm. Pepin recommends keeping your serving plates in the oven so that they will be warm when you plate the chicken.
- Remove all but 2 tbsp of fat from the skillet. Add onions, garlic and mushrooms. Cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper and white wine. If any liquid has accumulated on the platter in the oven, add that liquid to the pan.
- Cook over high heat for 1 minute, to reduce the liquid a bit.
- Divide the mushroom mixture between 4 plates. Place one piece of chicken on top and garnish with chives to serve.