Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This a delicious, different dish that can be served as a side dish, or a dessert! This is from a cookbook entitled "Cooking For Madam: Recipes and Reminiscences from the Home of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis".
- In a saucepan large enough to hold all the plums after being submerged in syrup, stir the sugar into 2 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat, add the zest, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Prick each plum twice with the tines of a fork, then place them carefully in the syrup.
- Cover and let simmer to poach for 5 minutes.
- Let the plums cool in the syrup, then slip off the skins.
- Return the skinned plums to the syrup and let them steep until you are ready to serve.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled.
This was so simple and so delicious. The peel was so sweet that you could leave it on if you wanted too. I served the syrup too... with ice cream and orange peel garnish. Wow, Jackie sure knew what she was doing.