Recipe by Singleangel
This is a hearty one-dish meal you can throw together in minutes. My family has been making it this way since I was a kid and we've always called it Jacob's Pie. Shepherd's Pie (I later learned), contains cooked tomatoes which is something we were never too crazy about as kids. I hope it reminds you of home as much as it does me!
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans green beans, drained (you can substitute corn for all or part if you prefer)
- 4 -6 cups mashed potatoes, prepared the way you like them
- 4 slices cheese (we prefer American cheese with this dish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute the ground beef garlic and onions together in a deep iron skillet until the beef is no longer pink in the middle. You can add any other seasonings to suit your taste -- I like to use salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce. (Note: If you don't have an iron skillet, use a regular skillet to cook the meat and then assemble in a casserole dish).
- Drain ground beef mixture.
- Return ground beef to the skillet (or casserole dish), and arrange in a layer to cover the bottom.
- Spread condensed cream of mushroom soup in a layer over the ground beef.
- Arrange drained green beans/veggies in a layer over the soup.
- Spread mashed potatoes in a layer over the veggies.
- Top with cheese slices.
- Place skillet/casserole dish on center rack in the oven at 350 degrees for 15-20 min or until cheese is melted with slightly browned edges.
- Serve with warm dinner rolls.