Recipe by Chef Buggsy Mate
This recipe came out of our home school Bible Workbook called Genesis to Joshua. My children had to make it one day for Bible Class. For those who need a refresher...Esau came in from the wilderness after hunting and sold his birthright to Jacob for some of his soup. I have to tell you, I have never been a big lentil soup fan, but the lemon juice in this soup really brightens the flavor and I found it to be very pleasing...even my picky eaters enjoyed it!
Top Review by mama smurf
Made for the Aussie/NZ Recipe Swap #83 - December 2013 and what a great choice for a cold day. I used red lentils and chicken broth for the water and added a little garlic. Delicious. Definately one I will make again and again. Thank you for posting.
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse lentils, discarding and stones, or blemished lentils; drain.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until hot.
- Add onion and bell pepper, cook and stir 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add cumin and ground red pepper and stir 1 minute.
- Pour in the 4 cups of water and the lentils. Bring to a boil and Reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Stir in salt and simmer 10 minutes more or until lentils are tender.
- Stir in lemon juice and serve.