Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is my adaptation of my Nana's recipe. I can still hear her Swedish accent saying "All you do is shop, shop, shop the onions and celery" Our family loves it. It makes enough for a good sized Diestel hen. When I mention the stuffing mix I mean the large ones, the ounces on the mushrooms might be off.... I get one of the presliced containers in produce.... I chop one bunch of parsley. Sorry to be so inaccurate, but thats how I have done it for 50 years.
- 2 large yellow onions, chopped
- 1 small head of celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 (8 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (8 ounce) package cornbread stuffing mix
- 1 (8 ounce) packagewhite bread mix
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) packagesliced raw mushrooms
- 8 ounces of raw whole pecans
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- Have the chopped onion and celery ready.
- Melt the cube of butter in a pot.
- Add the chopped onion and celery.
- Add chicken broth to liberally cover and cook until the broth has intensified.
- Carefully toast the pecans in the microwave until you can scent them.
- In your largest bowl place both stuffing mixes, chopped parsley, chopped herbs,raw mushrooms and pecans.
- Toss together.
- Add the hot broth, onions, and celery from the stove.
- Mix and taste for seasoning.
- Adding salt and pepper as needed.