Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is my father's recipe which is fairly low in fat, unlike his sister's which has 1/2 pound of butter in it.
- 2 lbs dried red kidney beans
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1⁄2 cup bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 cup scallion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried marjoram or 1 tablespoon oregano
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 hot peppers, minced, I like cayenne
- 1⁄2 lb ham, minced
- 2 quarts water (or more)
- salt and pepper
- Place all ingredients in a large heavy pot, dutch oven or stock pot. Make sure the water covers the ingredients by two fingers depth (real scientfic here).
- Cover and cook over medium to low heat for about 2 hours stirring occasionally.
- Add salt and pepper to taste (adding it sooner will make the beans tough).
- Continue to stir occasionally to ensure that the beans aren't sticking and continue to cook until beans are soft (about another 2 hours).
- Serve over hot rice.
- I usually add some Andouille Sausage during the last 1/2 hour of cooking.