Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Just the right spiciness. Great for a crowd. Freezes well. Unique flavors make this hearty chili a favorite.
- 1 lb 90% lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large bell peppers, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 28 ounces Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
- 8 ounces canned tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 19 ounces canned red kidney beans, undrained
- 19 ounces canned pinto beans, undrained
- 19 ounces canned black beans, undrained
- 12 ounces frozen corn
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried chipotle powder
- 2 teaspoons cocoa
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- In a large pot, saute ground beef with onions, peppers and garlic until meat is cooked through and vegetables are soft.
- Add stewed tomatoes, tomato suce, beans, and corn stir together.
- Add seasonings and simmer for 30 minutes adding water if you like it thinner.
- Add salt and additional seasonings to taste.
- Serve hot with shredded cheese, sour cream, jalapenos and/or hot sauce to suit your tastes.
How could I not love this reipe!! ;) I've been tweaking the original (Dawn's Favorite Low Fat Chile) as well, and can offer a few extra tips. 1) Add 8-16 oz round steak diced into 1/2 inch chunks along with the ground beef. The extra 'tooth' is wonderful. 2) Add 1 tbsp commercial hot mole sauce/paste instead of the cocoa. 3) Use Mexican oregano if you can find it. 4) Gephart's chili powder is the best, IMO. This is truly a recipe 'chile lovers love'! PS--Thanks for your review on the recipe I posted--chile recipes are living and breathing creatures and are always getting better.
Wow!! This was delishious. My mother was so excited about it, she couldn't wait to call someone to talk about this recipe.