Recipe by Tadish
Just the right spiciness. Great for a crowd. Freezes well. Unique flavors make this hearty chili a favorite.
Top Review by SpicyDoc
How could I not love this reipe!! ;) I've been tweaking the original (Dawn's Favorite Low Fat Chile) as well, and can offer a few extra tips. 1) Add 8-16 oz round steak diced into 1/2 inch chunks along with the ground beef. The extra 'tooth' is wonderful. 2) Add 1 tbsp commercial hot mole sauce/paste instead of the cocoa. 3) Use Mexican oregano if you can find it. 4) Gephart's chili powder is the best, IMO. This is truly a recipe 'chile lovers love'! PS--Thanks for your review on the recipe I posted--chile recipes are living and breathing creatures and are always getting better.
- 1 lb 90% lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large bell peppers, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 28 ounces Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
- 8 ounces canned tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 19 ounces canned red kidney beans, undrained
- 19 ounces canned pinto beans, undrained
- 19 ounces canned black beans, undrained
- 12 ounces frozen corn
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried chipotle powder
- 2 teaspoons cocoa
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, saute ground beef with onions, peppers and garlic until meat is cooked through and vegetables are soft.
- Add stewed tomatoes, tomato suce, beans, and corn stir together.
- Add seasonings and simmer for 30 minutes adding water if you like it thinner.
- Add salt and additional seasonings to taste.
- Serve hot with shredded cheese, sour cream, jalapenos and/or hot sauce to suit your tastes.